JunkStrap Y-Axis on the X-one

To mount the X-carriages I already needed to mount the linear shafts for Y. As the normal linear (ball) bearings of the Sumpod were already digging into the shafts there, I went for igus “drylin” self-lubricating solid plastic bearings. To mount Colin Rose’s Dual Drive Bowden Extruder as direct-drive I was already wasting plenty of travel here, so a 608ZZ-bearing-on-square-tube carriage was not an option. To keep everything maintainable I went for two halves again. This is the lower, this the upper half. My E3D-v5 Hot End is pushed into the J-Head mount from the side and then secured with this piece of plastic.

To move this axis I exchanged the test-clamps with a proper cover with motor holder at the back and idler holder at the front. As the belt travel is limited here, a spring tensioner was fine. The upper half of the slide had a belt clamp screwed on. The screws were ripping out later, but a bulldog clip fixed everything again. 😉

For Hot End and part cooling (“nozzle fan”) I went for an enlarged (E3D Double Fan 2x40mm … by lokus77) and an annular model (Cooling Fan Duct for E3D All Metal Hot End V6 by Zeppelinum). The former had to be modified, which is not a problem as TinkerCad imports STLs from other sources: “Mixing thing:420204 and thing:251563

Although Hot End / Nozzle, Cold End / Extruder / Feeder and Heated Build Plate are subjects to subsequent posts, here is the installation situation…

…and here is a video of the Y-Axis moving during a test print:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.