Sumpod upgrades

The good thing about a RepRap is, that you can print many upgrades for it yourself.

But not everything works with PLA. Some parts just need to be metal. And some should be clear and the easiest way to build them is sheet material. The hood is an example for that.

IMG_1381

Because the heated bed did not reach 100 °C (although I already stuffed cork below it – pictures here) and the parts were warping away I tought this would be a good idea. Not a proper heated build chamber, but good enough.

IMG_1390

With the cabinet closed 100°C are exceeded (after a few hours of printing even 110°C are reached at the middle of the underside of the bed, where the sensor is).

When printing in PLA you can save a print by gluing the warping edges to your (glass) build plate with hot-melt. This does not work with ABS on hot Kapton however.
Instead I used the „hot knive“ of my gas solder iron (depicted above).

IMG_1396 IMG_1406 IMG_1409

The Sunglasses Holder – expandable and modular by Tony_D was the test object for a long print (although I used 0.25mm layers) starting from a large surface. The brim was still necessary however.

Over time I got extrusion problems.

Apart from the ABS filament itself not being that good…

IMG_1427

…the feeder mechanism was not deburred properly.

IMG_1498 IMG_1494

The shavings went through the bowden tube into the hot end and caused blocks there.

IMG_1420 IMG_1727

The pneumatic connector also had some sharp edges, which had to be sunk. I punched the motor shaft to prevent the drive gear from spinning (screwlock is a bad idea, beaucse the hexagon socket is so small).

IMG_20140930_113307IMG_2211

A short piece of tube now guides the filament to the drive gear. But the clamping mechanism wears out, when you adjust it.

IMG_2234

Despite all those problems I managed to get two good prints of Corellian Engineering Corporation YT-2000 light freighter „Otana“. I was aked to print http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/92450-yt-2000-otana/ on the FFF-machine and although this definitely is Resin Printer (Stereolithography) stuff, I gave it a try.

otana IMG_1713

And I am quite impressed with the result. It does not get any better than this with this kind of „electronically controlled hot glue gun“.

IMG_1715 IMG_1721 IMG_1725

One of the two Otanas was later painted by the guy who asked – and put into the gallery of his own site: http://www.swordandpaintbrush.de/p/galerie.html

10915072_1607560609463869_2006673961111918393_o

This is Geared extruder v.2 by RomanST, which will hopefully give me a bit of margin when pushing the filament into the bowden tube. Later (this post).

IMG_2962 IMG_2963

So much for the cold end – now the hot one:

The Sumpod Hot End is similar to the E3D All Metal HotEnd. The latter worked fine in my RoStrap, so I switched to this one. To no avail. There were still some random jams, which could often be overpowered by hand – and then again not at all.

Cold pulling (http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/23-a-visual-ultimaker-troubleshooting-guide#underextrusion) did not bring particles to light. Instead using Teflon oil (Interflon Fin Lube TF) to grease the bore in the heat break stopped the jams.

P1050809

Here is the Hot End in Simple universal E3d double fan cooler. The Nozzle Fan is smaller, so I scaled down this part.

IMG_2202 IMG_2204 IMG_2210

I continued to use PLA in the E3D.

IMG_2426

A general design flaw is the current distribution on the RAMPS-PCB. The Sanguinololu documentation does mention that this PCB may need reinforcement, but I used the RAMPS-Board right out of the box. And the two 12V connections are completley seperated.

Then came the high current consumption of the heated bed and after a few ten hours of printing the connector was done.

IMG_2165 IMG_2166

I connected the two 12V-rails to distribute the current more easily.

IMG_2333 IMG_2181

The 5V-Regulator also failed. Another thing the Sanguinololu-page forestalled. So I disconnected it via the polyfuse.

IMG_2182

I did not escape the problems with the X-Driver. The axis stuttered, obviously something regarding the „enable“-pin.

Changing the jumpers was one approach, but in the end I had to re-define the pins of this driver and use the slot of Extruder 2 instead.

IMG_0987 IMG_2343

The Heatbed was finally put onto some springs, when I changed to the E3Dv5. And I improved thermal insulation.

IMG_2222 IMG_2226

Now I use a carbon fiber plate on top. You need to set 75°C to get 65°C on it and to degrease this plate before every print, but as a result I can now print gears without „elefant foot“, so they mesh fine without carving every single tooth.

On the other hand: C_D’s Dual Drive Bowden Extruder by C_D contains gears designed to be printed (with chamfers). 😉

IMG_2510 IMG_2700 IMG_2708

On the other hand: it greatly helps not only to set print speed to 50% for the first layer und temperature to 210°C instead of 190°C later, but also to reduce flow rate under these conditions to 80%

http://www.extrudable.me/2013/04/18/exploring-extrusion-variability-and-limits/

The „Tweak at Z“ plugin for Cura is extremely helpful for this.

The hot melt here was a precautionary measure, because I coudn’t watch the print all the time.

IMG_2721 IMG_2755

Test for bed levelling and removal of the object:

Dogecoin Moon Flyer by exosequitur

SANY7948

Advertisements

Kommentar verfassen

Trage deine Daten unten ein oder klicke ein Icon um dich einzuloggen:

WordPress.com-Logo

Du kommentierst mit Deinem WordPress.com-Konto. Abmelden / Ändern )

Twitter-Bild

Du kommentierst mit Deinem Twitter-Konto. Abmelden / Ändern )

Facebook-Foto

Du kommentierst mit Deinem Facebook-Konto. Abmelden / Ändern )

Google+ Foto

Du kommentierst mit Deinem Google+-Konto. Abmelden / Ändern )

Verbinde mit %s